9.20.2008

It's Who

You know how they say it's who we're with, not where we are? It's so true. Wherever I am, the place may seem great - but it's nothing compared to the people who might be there. Or, in other words, the people are the ones who make the place. I seriously don't know what I'd do without my friends - ranging from people I say "Hi" to everyday from my best friends, and to the people I hang out with each second, from even to, you, my blogger friends :)

Like today - I had my black belt pre-test, and I was kind of nervous. And you know how sometimes we tend to think the worst under stress: which would be failing for me. But many of my friends were like, "Oh, you'll just blow them away, girl." And I love that: being able to borrow confidence outside of myself. Kind of like how music can make us dance, even when we don't want to.

And I did great on the test - I knew I could - I just wasn't sure if I would. It was kind of crazy though - the whole pre-test. When I first entered the room, where a dozen of us were testing, you could smell almost the pressure and hear the whispered fears. I hate that - going from the blue skies outside to an atmosphere where no one smiles. Probably not a good thing - considering how much my friends playfully tease me about how I can't not smile. But the only thing we should fear is fear itself, no?

So here is something for you. It's not too polished, but you'll get the jist of it :)

To All my Friends

Old and new; young and old;
Stayed and left; gone and remained;
To the ones who laugh with me;
To the ones who laugh at me;
To the ones who think I’m cool and clever;
To the ones who will stick with me forever;
The friends who think I’m absurd and weird;
To the ones who never ever feared;

For the ones whom with I’ve cried,
During the times when I’ve been tried;
To the friends who’ve shown me the way;
To them who never let me forget how to play;
To the friends who forgive;
The ones who taught me how to live;
For the ones who are always there;
For them who constantly care;

To the friends who carried me over valleys;
For the ones who’ve shown me the deep dark alleys;
For the friends who make themselves well heard,
Flying free like a bird;
For the friends who’ve been there through thick and thin;
For the friends who value me as much as I do them;
To my close friends; and to the ones I barely knew;
To the friends I’d want to know more,
Deeper and deeper to the core;

For the ones who are honest;
For the friends who demand respect;
The ones who make me smile,
For ones who helped me go the other mile;
To the ones who showed me beauty;
To the ones who’ve made clear my duty;

For the ones who never backed up from a fight;
For my friends who were humble with all their might;
To especially my best friend;
To the friends I’d die for;
To the ones who truly help me amount
This is to you, my friends,
Who I’d die without

(please comment and follow my blog if you'd like!)

14 comments:

DreamMatrix said...

VERY well-said! It takes all kinds of friends to round out our lives and keep us sane! ;) Thanks for reminding me how lucky I am for friends. :)

. said...

SEEEMSS like everyones going to be a black belt here on blogger. Hopefully next Tuesday I'll be a blue belt! YAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYY!

Prince Trase said...

Thank you for reading my blog. Your blog is very interesting. This post right here had me thinking as well. We all most keep that self confidence. It what makes us human. Two thumbs up!

ashlea014 said...

I couldn't agree with you more.

Romans 12:2 said...

Wow! You're good.

Anonymous said...

So very true!!!

In fact today I was at a really great show, but none of my friends could show up. And no matter how great the music or good the coffee it wasn't the same.

I love your posts =D

-Amy
<3

? said...

It's you.
You are a friend to die for.
x

Anonymous said...

Love what you wrote!
I hope you have a great week =)

Glass Mannequin said...

Hahaha. I love you little butterfly. I compete with you for followers but you've already won my heart so anything else you take is OK too. Congrats on passing the pre-test. You'll blow them away at the real one, too.

Glass Mannequin

But you can call me Miss... said...

I've never thought of it that way. "...being able to borrow confidence outside of myself."

I like that a lot. :)

Jenna said...

Thanks. :)

JWo said...

Thanks for the comment! I'm glad our posts aren't too much alike, but I have to say I enjoyed your last blog...I just read it!

Twisting by said...

this is so true, the people around you are what makes your life (besides faith in yourself of course)

i like how you said "Kind of like how music can make us dance, even when we don't want to."

Story of a Girl said...

That was wonderful. You are great withwords. Nice to meet you, I'm Iris, and thanks for the blog comment. Hope you can read some of my blogs. I'll keep an eye out for yours :) Take care.