12.21.2008

Lighting Up the Night

For me, the Christmas season truly begins when there’s a Christmas tree inside the house. I love the feeling of waking up in the morning, knowing it’s cold outside, yet toasty warm inside, and not exactly sure why I feel so happy. Then I catch a whiff of pine needles, and all of a sudden it comes to me, “Oh, it’s Christmas!”

Christmas has to be just about my favorite holiday – there’s the presents, the tree, the lights, the food, the upcoming birthday. Then there’s God, the family, the friends, the love, the happiness, the meaning. I love trying to soak it all in.

When I was little, my Mom used to drive me around the neighborhood so we could peek out at the Christmas lights that neighbors decorated their houses with. We’d choose the house that was decorated the best, or pick out the house that stood out most. There would be houses with golden icicle lights, and others with electric blue lights. Then there would be the yards with giant snow globes, or the lighted reindeer.

And I still glance at Christmas lights now, whenever I’m out on a ride. I’m captivated by them, or rather the reason they’re there. Because some people put up lights because they want to have the best decorated house on the block or some because of tradition – something started in the family long ago. For some it’s to get attention or maybe because the kids begged. However the reason people decorate their house with lights is usually for others’ enjoyment – spreading cheer & happiness around. It's pretty amazing if we really think about it: someone spending a day in the cold up on a ladder to spread something to others. It's part of what Christmas is all about.

10 comments:

stupid ramblings of mine said...

Love the post. Of course my mediocre post doesnt do the season justice but we had a beautiful snowfall today and for much of the day you cant help but feel so toasty being inside.

I always feel like its neevr christmas until the real tree is up as well. Until the decorations come out I am never excited haha.

Unknown said...

yep, too bad it's so temporary...

Unknown said...

if we could only continue the tradition a little longer

PhilO♥ said...

Wow. Such a cute post. Even I love the feeling of Christmas...And I love going to Churches. And then there are lovely Christmas trees....its all so lovely and welcoming ! Sadly, it does not snow where I live...but Christmas season is lovely. And ya, the carols too :D

Elle said...

Cute post :)

I love Christmas. For some reason, Christmas just doesn't seem that Christmas-ey this year. Its sort of sad. But Christmas lights are pretty awesome, aside from the fact they contribute to global warming. Hmm...

Hope you have a great Christmas!

BiLLiON $$$ said...

yah it was complicated...very complicatd :)

Anonymous said...

I love Christmas.
It's just so wonderful...we've finally time to go look at Christmas lights. We're doing that tonight.

I love going to church Christmas morning and coming home and spending time with the family, opening gifts, drinking something warm, listening to music, and enjoying each others company.
I love the weather, and wearing warm sweaters, hats, and scaves.
Baking cookies, and singing carols...it's just a magical holiday!

Happy Christmas Mariposa!!!

-Amy <3

Unknown said...

You just gotta get the right adult at the right time I guess.

Same thing with me..I started school early though....when I was four

I don't think that everyone can turn things into good though...not by themselves...so some existences I believe may not be worth living if life is over powered by the 'death/ bad' we experience everyday

love stRuckk said...

thankss :D

? said...

Have a very merry christmas whatever you do.
God bless